Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Don't remember the title. But I see the DARK in many people, or the ' shadow ' as Bono might describe it.

 THE SHADOW WITHIN YOUR EYES                                                 
                                  
                                                I painted this picture as
a memorial for Carlos Garver, the ' ragman. ' The 
son of local artists in Albq.
New Mexico. To the left  is 
Memorial by Mrs. Evelyn 
Abbott, and one of the articles contained within.
        Rumor had it on the streets at the time, that skinheads ' lit him up. ' 
         I remember him sitting in the dirt, with bits and pieces of broken glass, placed in the form of a circle around him. The energy was strong yet quiet. He's a person I will never forget. His parents had passed and all he had was booze. The fire was intense. I never payed much attention to what the papers said, my gut told me different. All you had to do was look at the wall, and the hight
 of the DARK left by the flames. Carlos was neckties, skin and bones; no body fat.
        I placed neckties on the branches of a tree in old yale park at the university after coffee with Evelyn early in the morning. I guess I did this because of what they symbolize. Unity. Carlos Garver tried.
        The painting was taken from the park to the DARK for awhile, until a photographer started taking shots, so I removed it. There was no one to give it to that I knew of at the time. So it ended up in Texas, then back, somewhere in New Mexico. A sleeping figure, at peace by the river. The Rio Grande.
         During this time alot of violence was going on in Albq. She, really a ' HE ' was the rape capitol of the country. We would hear rumors of rape, but never read that much about them. And then, always buried in a blur of paper. Some women were of no help ether, I remember one who teased to the point of nudity, then no. So, no means no. And of course the next day were all friends. No thanks. The town was different then. The police took care of the skinheads and I don't think Albq. is the rape capitol of the country any more, at least for women. But alot of women and men, not to mention BABIES were hurt first. The BABIES still are.
       When I arrived in Albq., late 70's ? I was met by a young woman in a hippi flowery dress. Her hair was golden and her smile was...I can't describe. She gave me, I think four dollars. I don't think I asked. I was doing my laundry. I will always remember her. I think of her now and if memory severs " A woman that was never born." A bit of a Zeppelin tune.
        I bought food for Carlos once; that blank stare, and ever so silent as if a breeze, thank you.
        The winds of the world, a whisper heard it first. That's why I wrote this. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment