Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Of Conscious/Conscience-1985-1987-Sculpture and Painting


                                                            












































Both painting and sculpture,   ' Angle ' and Conscious / Conscience were destroyed, if you want to call it that.' Angle ' turned into blue Christ then was  destroyed. C/C was cut up after being displayed several times.
I look back now and think of all the people who commented on
the ' Angle.' She was overlooking barren fields of lost harvest, a metaphor of youth and all it's connotations. She was standing on steps and a parcel column built of paint and pages of the bible. I did this reflecting my youth and trying twice to seek advice from the church, once turned away, the second, a waiting list. The overall meaning of the context was why the 
necessity of war. The abundant loss of life.
         An ex patron once suggested I use pages of the Qu'ran
 in my next project and I gave it little thought because in my mind neither one, based on my experience with one, really cares for children. War must be a religion, it is the oldest form of sacrifice and communication. What value would children hold? ( I remember footage more recently where a family was caught between foes and one by one killed. The child was left and he was last to die. The Israelis and Palestinians blamed each other yet neither one offered safe passage.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment